[Duurzaamlijst] fw: 8-Misc: Advanta will pay compensation for GE-contaminated canola

> ** Original Subject: 8-Misc: Advanta will pay compensation for GE-contaminated canola
> ** Original Sender: GENETNL <genetnl@xs4all.be>
> ** Original Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:34:27 +0200

> ** Original Message follows...

--------------------------

TITLE:  A) Advanta France to compensate farmers for GM mishap
        B) UK farmers welcome EU decision on GM rapeseed
SOURCE: A) Reuters, by Joelle Diedrich
        B) Reuters, by Christopher Lyddon
DATE:   both June 12, 2000

A) Advanta France to compensate farmers for GM mishap

FRANCE : June 12, 2000

PARIS - The French branch of seed company Advanta said it would
compensate French farmers forced to destroy crops grown from rapeseed
that was tainted with genetically modified (GM) material. Advanta,
part of a 50-50 venture between Anglo-Swedish group AstraZeneca Plc
and Dutch cooperative Cosun, also sold the seed, imported from
Canada, to farmers in Britain, Germany, Sweden and Luxembourg. France
ordered farmers last month to destroy the crops.

"In order to protect the revenue of farmers, Advanta has decided to
pay for the loss of the crop and the reimbursement of the cost of
destroying the crops," Advanta France said in a statement. The
company did not place a monetary value on the compensation deal, but
noted it was under no legal obligation toward the farmers since it
had not broken any existing laws. It said its decision, coming on the
heels of a similar move to compensate British farmers, was purely
commercial. A spokesman for Advanta UK said last week that the
company would not discriminate against farmers in other affected
countries.

Oilseeds producer association FOP last week estimated losses in
France at between 2.8 million French francs and 4.2 million francs,
including the loss of EU farm subsidies. Advanta's announcement meant
French farmers were now assured of receiving full compensation for
the destruction of their crops as a result of the debacle. The EU
earlier on Friday said farmers who unknowingly planted the GM-
contaminated seed would receive their usual EU subsidies even if the
crops had been removed from the ground. According to EU rules, the
plants should have been left in the ground until flowering, or until
June 30, for the usual area payment to be made.

INDUSTRY WANTS RULES ON GMO SEEDS

Advanta repeated its opposition to destroying the crops, saying the
rapeseed could have been used to produce biomass fuel. But it said it
respected the decision and was cooperating with its clients for a
speedy elimination of the crops. Advanta also repeated calls for
clearer EU regulation of GM content in seeds in the EU, where the
material is highly controversial. "... The industry as a whole agrees
that it is currently impossible to guarantee the 100 percent purity
of seeds and has already made proposals to authorities to elaborate a
regulatory response to this question," it said.

EU rules currently oblige food producers to label their products as
containing GMOs if they cannot guarantee each of the ingredients
contains less than 1 percent of GM material. But the threshold does
not apply to seed. The European Seed Association has sent a letter to
EU governments calling for an industry standard for crop seed,
allowing a small amount of GM material.
$1 = 6.83 French francs; 1 acre = 0.247 hectares

                              *****

B) UK farmers welcome EU decision on GM rapeseed

LONDON - British farmers welcomed an EU decision that allows them to
destroy rapeseed crops affected by genetically modified (GM) material
without losing out on subsidy payments. "The NFU (National Farmers
Union) have been pressing extremely hard for this decision...and we
are very pleased," Rad Thomas, Chairman of the NFU's Oil, Protein and
Fibres committee, said in a statement. The move was agreed by the
European Union grains management committee. Farmers can destroy the
crop without losing the right to arable area payments. Normally they
would have had to grow the crop until it flowered or until June 30 to
get the payments, the ministry of agriculture said.

The decision removed some of the uncertainty facing farmers over GM-
affected crops, Thomas said. The union would continue to work for
compensation from Advanta, the seed company at the centre of the mix-
up. Nearly 500 British farmers planted rapeseed mixed with GM
material. The seed was sold by Advanta Seeds UK, a joint venture

--

| phone: +49-531-5168746                      |
| fax:   +49-531-5168747                      |

abc miljeugroep amsterdam
gerard w.schut

abcadam@theglobe.com

jose'