[West-Sahara] EU en Polisario praten

fwillems op antenna.nl fwillems op antenna.nl
Vr Feb 9 20:50:26 CET 2018

Volgens een verklaring die is uitgebracht door het Twitteraccount van de
Europese vertegenwoordiging heeft er een gesprek plaatsgevonden tussen
het Polisario en de EU. Dat is goed nieuws. Hierbij de onvertaalde tekst.

  ------------------------

[BRUSSELS, FEB 9] Following recent discussions with officials from the
European Commission, Representative of Frente POLISARIO to Europe
Mohamed Sidati commented:

“The discussions covered a wide range of issues, from the ongoing
attempts to include Western Sahara in EU-Morocco trade agreements
without the consent of the Saharawi people via their legitimate
Representative Frente Polisario, to the need for the EU to play a more
proactive role in supporting efforts to revitalise the UN peace process.
We welcomed the European Commission's invitation to discuss these
issues; and hope it signals the first step to a more constructive
approach by the Commission.

During the meeting, we made clear our deep concerns at the ongoing
negotiations to include Western Sahara in EU trade agreement with
Morocco, and the absence of a transparent, legal, and credible process
to obtain the consent of Frente Polisario, the legal Representative of
the Saharawi people. Any economic agreement between the EU and Morocco
that does not explicitly exclude Western Sahara will continue to
strenghen Morocco's illegal occupation. To this extent, we stressed our
confidence in EU law, and our preparedness to return to the European
Court of Justice concerning any such matters.

In parallel we reiterated our unequivocal commitment to the UN peace
process through our ongoing, constructive engagement with the efforts of
the UN Secretary General's Personal Envoy H.E Horst Kohler.  In this
context, we reminded the Commission of the relevance of developments at
the EU to the UN political process, and the need to ensure no obstacles
are presented to the efforts of Mr Kohler.

Frente Polisario remains open and ready for constructive engagement,
trade, and cooperation with the EU within the framework of international
and EU law. A sustainable, stable, and prosperous future for the Maghreb
is only possible through mutual respect for international law, justice,
the principle of Self-determination, fundamental human rights and values.”

          POLISARIO Representation to Europe

          Twitter:  @PolisarioEU