[Duurzaamlijst] NACEC action alert

Dear All,

At infoterra the following message was published about NACEC,
the environmental commission of the NAFTA treaty.
From their website www.cec.org I downloaded the
NACEC Program Plan for 2001-2003.

To my big surprise NOTHING was mentioned about
Climate Change, whereas NAFTA economies by the very
use of energy at their very high wasteful levels are putting a
heavy stress on world climate, heating up the world so much
that rain in already arid areas will be completely drained
into evaporation before it can reach the ground.

That is a consequence of greenhouse warming up in
semi-arid, almost desert like areas like the Sahel
region in Africa.

So I regard it as unacceptable that NACEC is completely
ignoring these problems.
Of course the program they propose is better than nothing
at all, but it seems to me NAFTA is still living in the years
betwee the wake up call "Silent Spring" and the Brundtland
report introducing the precoutinary principle instead of 2001
with all its scientific evidence from UN and IPCCC.

They say:
> We encourage you to pre-register for the above events
> if you have not already done so.  Please note that the
> deadline to submit a request for financial assistance
> and/or to make an oral presentation to the Council has
> been extended to 25 May 2001. We also invite you to
> consult our web site at <http://www.cec.org>, where you
> will find the pre-registration form and information on
> the session.
This looks rather open minded, so there must be a fair
opportunity for substantial discussion on the real relevant
issues.

However, living in the Netherlands, Europe, I am unable to do
anything more than make this alert for others to act upon.

Greetings
Leonard Kater

=======================
Invitation to the 8th Regular Session of the Council of the Commission for Environmental Cooperation

15 May 2001 -- Further to our recent invitation to participate in the 8th Regular Session of the Council of the Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC) and accompanying events, to be held from 27-29 June 2001, in Guadalajara, Mexico, we are pleased to provide you with information on the various events open to the public at the 2001 Council Session. The preliminary program of public events is now available on the CEC web site at: <http://www.cec.org>.  Other related documents will be sent to participants upon registration.

The session will start on 27 June with a JPAC session which comprises four round table discussions: Managing Pollutants in North America, Conservation of Biodiversity, North American Trade and Transportation Corridors, and Management of Renewable Resources. On 28 June, JPAC is organizing a workshop on Green Goods and Services. This will be followed on the morning of 29 June, by the public portion of the Council Session, which provides an opportunity for pre-registered participants to make oral presentations to the ministers on matters related to the CEC work program or on issues within the scope of the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC).

We encourage you to pre-register for the above events if you have not already done so.  Please note that the deadline to submit a request for financial assistance and/or to make an oral presentation to the Council has been extended to 25 May 2001. We also invite you to consult our web site at <http://www.cec.org>, where you will find the pre-registration form and information on the session.

Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Fabiola Gomez, by phone at (514) 350-4303, by fax at (514) 350-4314, or by e-mail at <fgomez@ccemtl.org>.

On behalf of everyone at the CEC, I look forward to seeing you in Guadalajara.

Sincerely yours,
Janine Ferretti
Executive Director

Preliminary program of public events: http://www.cec.org/files/pdf/council/Prog2001e_en.pdf
Pre-registration form: http://www.cec.org/files/pdf/council/Reg2001e_en.pdf

Commission for Environmental Cooperation
393, rue Saint-Jacques Ouest, Bureau 200
Montréal (Québec) Canada H2Y 1N9
Tel: (514) 350-4300; Fax: (514) 350-4314
E-mail: fgomez@ccemtl.org
Internet: http://www.cec.org

----
This message was sent by INFOTERRA@CEDAR.AT
To signoff from the list, send an email to majordomo@cedar.at
the message body should read "unsubscribe infoterra" (without quotes).
Visit http://www.cedar.at/unep/infoterra/index.html
for more info, list commands, and mail archives (searchable).
----